Past London Event: VOL 14

Large wide dsd 4489 2

VOL 14

May 24, 2017
@ Spa Fields Park

This event is now SOLD OUT!

This the evening will see eight creative minds share their inspirations, passions and normally un-seen processes in a series of fast-moving image-led presentations. Speakers will include materials expert Seetal Solanki, furniture maker Sebastian Cox, design consultant Iona Inglesby, Mule Studio founders Harri Lewis and Jack Munro, architect Adam Khan, product designer Mathias Hahn and Rob Lowe aka Supermundane. Design journalist and Content Editor for Clerkenwell Design Week Max Fraser will host the evening event. 


17.30 - Attendees arrive and welcome drink
17.45 - Talks start - intro and 4 speakers
18.45 - Interval and drinks
18.55 - 19.40pm - 4 more speakers
19:40pm - 20:30pm - post talk drinks


Thumb slide007

The wonders of second hand books as told by Supermundane

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

Rob Lowe, also known as Supermundane, gave this PechaKucha during Clerkenwell Design Week 2017 and shared with the audience some of the wonders of his op-shopping adventures during which he discovers weird and wacky second hand books that uncover some super secrets!

Thumb slide031

You share 99.9% of your genetic code with every other human on earth

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

Did you know that you share 99.9% of your genetic code with every other human on earth. This leaves just 0.1% of your genes which make you.. you. 

In this PechaKucha given by Iona Inglesby, as part of Clerkenwell Design Week 2017, Iona tells us the tale about how she established her company called Dot One which analyses part of this 0.1% to create prints and textiles personalised to you on a molecular level.

Thumb slide053

The secret power of naivety

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

In this PechaKucha given by Harri Lewis and Jack Munro of Mule Studio, as part of Clerkenwell Design Week 2017, the give an account of the wonderous talents of people who do not neccessary have the technically "required training" to do the job - some creations made by "naive" people include Golden Eye the Nintendo Game, Seinfeld the most popular comedy show, the Centre Georges Pompidou! Who would have thought?!

Thumb slide076

Alternative materials that Ma-tt-er

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

Seetal Solanki, founder of materials reserach consultancy Ma-tt-er, gave this PechaKucha talk during Clerkenwell Design Week 2017 and showcased the weird and wacky wonders of using alternative products to create materials and alternative materials to create products - confused? - well watch and Seetal will tell you and it will all make sense! 

Thumb slide121

Poo and sticks as bricks and mortar

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

Designer Sebastian Cox gave this PechaKucha during the Clerkenwell Design Week 2017, and instead of showcasing his own products he took the audience on a journey back in time to the UK during the 1500's when materials were scarce but people made do - including using their own do' (or poo) mixed with sticks to build sturdy homes - come on you know you want to watch and listen now!

Thumb slide13

Everyone wants to go back school!!!

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

Architect Adam Khan gave this PechaKucha during the 2017 Clerkenwell Design Week and showcased one of the projects he is most proud of - an amazing new pre-school with the coolest playground ever! Adam had the audience dreaming about how different their school days would have been if they had the chance to go to this school! 

Thumb slide110

Amazing products jammed into a tiny Mini

@ VOL 14 ON MAY 24, 2017

Mathias Hahn gave this PechaKucha during the Clerkenwell Design Week 2017 and shared his passion for design through the tales of a journey he went on with a friend in a tiny Mini collecting a range of wondrous and beautifully designed objects. By the end you will be asking the same question as the audience on the night "how the heck did it all fit!?"

Iona Inglesby
Founder of Dot One - DNA Personalised Design in London
Jack Munro
Co-founder in London
Rob Lowe
in London
Seetal Solanki
Director and Founder, Ma-tt-er in London
Mathias Hahn
Product Designer in London
Harri Lewis
Mule Studio in London
Sebastian Cox
in London
Adam Khan
Architect in London