FEBRUARY 18, 2015
5 reasons why Pecha Kucha is **THE** night out in Coventry this Friday...
1) If you like TED talks, stand up comedy or open mic nights - Pecha Kucha is sort of like all three rolled into one. At each night there's a massive mix of zany, opinionated, inspirational and downright oddball people talking (or perhaps shouting, dancing, miming or singing) through a series of 20 images. You don't have to worry about stifling any yawns, each person is only allowed 20 seconds per image... before you know it you've had six and a half minutes of eclectic entertainment... and after 3 or 4 you realise the £3 entry is definitely giving your two bob's worth.
2) TFI Friday and alcohol is served. The Tin offer loads of continental drinks and local brews including Coventry's very own Byatt's beer.
3) Fighting winter flu? You can watch Pecha Kucha from your sickbed - All the Pecha Kucha presentations are put online at www.pechakucha.org/cities/coventry. Seriously laugh-out-loud recommendations from the Pecha Kucha Coventry 'Christmas' edition are: How to Annoy Your Friends on Facebook at Christmas by Simon Fairbanks and Placing Children on Your Lap: the Art of Ventriloquism by Michael Mayhew. You can also follow antics via Twitter live on the night @PKN_coventry.
4) Try it and like it? You can go to a Pecha Kucha night ANYWHERE in the world. Originally starting in Tokyo (the tongue twisting "Pecha Kucha" title means "chit chat"), nights now take place in over 700 cities worldwide. So next time you're surfing the Air B&B waves to Dubai, Budapest, San Francisco or Paris you can also take in a Pecha Kucha night*.
5) If you get the itch after seeing (and possibly secretly mocking) others, you can have a go too. Anyone is welcome to sign up to 'do' a Pecha Kucha night on any subject, in any style, with any images and props you might care to use. Once you've completed this curious right-of-passage, you realise there's no return; it's addictive, it's fun and it's a serious preference to sitting in and worrying about your post-January diet. See you on Friday!
*disclaimer - not all nights may be as good as Pecha Kucha Coventry. Please also note that you could be educated or inspired and that there's a serious risk of meeting people...
PECHA KUCHA COVENTRY
Friday 20th February
'Design your City' - a theme for Global Pecha Kucha Night
@ The Tin Music & Arts (formerly Taylor John's House), Leicester Row, Coventry, West Midlands, CV14BN
Presenters, event details, maps here.